Thứ Hai, 14 tháng 1, 2013

Published tháng 1 14, 2013 by ana03 with 0 comment

The beginning to a whole new world


It’s been over ten years since I’ve done any international travelling. Ten years! Well, it’s time for me to step out of my comfort zone, dust off my back pack, kiss my hubby goodbye and step into my next adventure; I’m going to Vietnam!  Okay, so maybe that’s a little dramatic for a 13 day trip but I’m excited!

Being selected as a volunteer on the CBT Vietnam Project is both one of the most exciting and terrifying opportunities I’ve ever had. The program is a partnership between PATA, Capilano University and Hanoi Open University focused on delivering sustainable community based tourism (CBT) to villages in the Sapa Region of Northern Vietnam. I’ve never travelled to Asia and getting familiar with Vietnamese culture is what everyone is telling me to do; research the history, familiarize myself with the geography, try the food, understand some of the language, learn all about this amazing CBT project. It’s a long list but I'm excited!

I have been having a hard time knowing where to start so I decided to start with what I love most: food! Some people eat to live but I live to eat! And, Vietnamese cuisine is one that I’m not familiar with in the slightest. 

A few nights ago I decided to take myself out for pho - a traditional Vietnamese soup. I went to this lovely restaurant a couple blocks from my house, Kim Penh Xe Lua Cambodian and Vietnamese Noodle House. My husband and I have gone there many times but we’ve always ordered the same thing, Vietnamese subs or banh mi

I told my waiter that I was traveling to Vietnam in a month and that I’ve never had pho before. I asked her what she thought I should try which isn’t something I normally do because as much as I’d like to be that person that just goes for it with their orders, it just doesn’t work for me because I'm picky. I can’t do spicy, can’t do dairy, don’t like mushrooms, sauce on the side...you get the idea. For those of you who have seen When Harry Met Sally, I’m a bit of a Sally when it comes to ordering! The waiter suggested the beef pho and, accepting this new courageous side of myself, I just went with the flow. 

Five minutes later she brings me a steaming bowl of soup with a side of greens and spring rolls. As soon as the bowl was placed in front of me the aromas hit and my senses were swirling. I had no idea what to do with the plate of sprouts, basil and lemon. Was there a special way to do it? I looked around in hopes I would see someone who, unlike me, actually knew what they were doing.  No one. I ended up just putting it all in the soup and it was AWESOME! The rice noodles, green onions, and the broth were delicious mixed with the sprouts, basil and lemon. How have I not had this before?
Tomorrow I will be returning to my new favorite restaurant, Kim Penh Xe Lua Cambodian and Vietnamese Noodle House, for some more culinary adventuring. Not sure what I’ll try next but I know it’ll be a first and I’ll be sure to let you all know how it goes!
      edit

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét