Thứ Tư, 9 tháng 9, 2015

Published tháng 9 09, 2015 by ana03 with 0 comment

Late night memories from Lao Chai

I can't believe we have been home from Vietnam for a week already! Saying "see you later" to Vietnam was sad, but I left the trip with so many special memories. There is one particular that keeps bringing a smile back to my face.

While in the village of Lao ChaiI got to spend the day helping the villagers prepare to meet tour operators in Hanoi with the CBT Team. Our training session was held at Ms. May's beautiful house. I was so impressed with how eager the women were to learn what Mia and I were teaching. Frequently, I thought back to moments when I was in the classroom at Capilano University, where it seemed as though none of my classmates were paying attention to the content that they had paid tuition to learn. This was not the case in Lao Chai! After each concept we covered about professionalism during business meetings, the women would burst into excited discussion. There was a keen interest from the villagers to learn  above and beyond what we had taught them already. Ms. Do (pronounced "z-uh") for example, was so excited about practicing her new English words that she asked if she could meet Mia and I later that evening to practice her pronunciation. We were more than happy to help! 

At the end of the day, we had the opportunity to stay overnight at Ms. Xung's home stay. Ms. Dq joined us after dinner so that we could help her go over some of the food vocabulary items she was struggling with. If I had been in Vancouver, I would have simply pulled up images on my computer to help her visualize the words she was saying. However, because we didn't have laptops or Internet available, I tried my best to draw examples of what we were talking about. Despite my lack of artistic skill, she seemed to understand and remember the words a lot better with the drawings. It was such a pleasure helping her practice new words! She was so happy to be learning something new that she almost lost track of time. We eventually had to call it a night because the next day we would be bringing the villagers to Hanoi.

As I head into my final semester of my Bachelor of Tourism Management at Capilano University, I will dearly remember that night with Ms. Dq.  Because of her passion for learning, I will take with me a renewed enthusiasm for my education. It's amazing how it can be taken for granted when you've been in school for a while. Teaching Ms. Dq was an excellent reminder to be appreciative of the opportunities that I have been given, and to push myself to keep learning.


 
      edit

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét