Thứ Ba, 18 tháng 8, 2015

Published tháng 8 18, 2015 by ana03 with 0 comment

Driving lessons from Hanoi


Walking through traffic in Vietnam is like diving head first into a dance that you don't know all of the moves to. If done incorrectly... you look like an idiot. Or (even worse!) you may seriously injure yourself. Personally, I've found that it's easiest to cross the street if you act confident. All you have to do is pretend like you know exactly what you're doing, as if you've had motorbikes speeding towards you from all directions for your entire life. 

The Vietnamese seem to drive with their ears as much as their eyes while on the streets of Hanoi. When I first arrived, I had assumed the constant sound of horns was solely due to driver frustration. However, I have since learned that (some!) of the honking is just used to indicate to other drivers that someone would like to pass by, which helps keep the traffic moving. There is a method to the chaos.

The flow of traffic never really seems to stop here. The buses, cars, motorbikes, and pedestrians all seem to blur into each other in a never ending weave of colours and sounds. It's no wonder that I'm finding it so easy to get lost here.

Overall, I have found that the people in Hanoi are as warm as the weather is outside. Which is to say, incredibly warm! They are some of the most hospitable and welcoming people I have had the pleasure to meet. Several have even offered to let me experience Vietnam on the back of their motorbikes! You may not be seeing me on the back of one of those just yet, but maybe one day. After all, there are still a few days left of the trip!


Photo by Kyle Sandilands
      edit

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét