Thứ Bảy, 15 tháng 8, 2015

Published tháng 8 15, 2015 by ana03 with 0 comment

A Vegan's Guide To Eating In Hanoi

As a vegan, I was skeptical of the ability to maintain my dietary lifestyle upon arrival to Hanoi. I had come to terms with the fact that, more likely than not, I would be required to consume some form of animal byproduct during my stay. Nonetheless, with 10 days passed since my arrival, maintaining my vegan lifestyle in Vietnam has proven to be easier than I had originally thought.  

Hanoi has no shortage of restaurants, and thanks to its large Buddhist population, vegetarian food is of ample supply.  The trick is to know where to look.  The word chay (meaning 'vegetarian') is regularly displayed on restaurant menus, with some restaurants even having a separate vegetarian menu all together. And if by chance there is nothing listed on the menu, restaurant staff are always willing to accommodate. With a few simple phrases such as "khong nuoc man" (no fish sauce), and "khong trung" (no egg), you're sure to find a true vegan meal!
    
Photos taken by Mia Chiappetta McCannel

Although I've kept most of my meals pretty simple (mostly consisting of tofu, rice, and vegetables) many restaurants also offer "mock meat" dishes. Now, for all of you skeptics assuming that vegan food in Vietnam must be bland and boring... Boy, are you wrong! The flavour found in vegetarian Vietnamese cuisine would have any omnivore drooling.  

I was lucky enough to stumble across Zenith Cafe, a strictly vegan restaurant with an attached yoga studio. After an early morning yoga class in Zenith's treetop studio, I devoured a delicious mixed vermicelli noodle dish. For those seeking more traditional Western food, the menu also offered a caramelized zucchini & black bean burger, which undoubtedly was the best vegan burger I've ever had.  

 
                                                            Mixed Vermicelli Noodle Dish

    Yoga Studio at Zenith Yoga

                                  Zucchini & Black Bean Burger with Freshed Pressed Carrot Juice

To finish off a meal, Hanoi offers an array of delectable fruits. Dragonfruits, longan berries, and papaya are seemingly popular; however, for those adventurous types... be sure to try durian! It is a true delicacy in Vietnam, and is certainly not for everyone. A durian's creamy texture and nutritional benefits provide clear examples of why the fruit is commonly known as the "King of Fruits".  Just as long as you can get over its distinctive odor and pungent smell, durian is surely a must try when in Vietnam.       

                                                           Fresh Durian & Dragon Fruit

Being vegan in Vietnam does require some extra precaution and regard. Nonetheless, over the short time I've spent in Hanoi, I have already sampled some of the most robustly flavourful dishes I've ever had! My mouth is salivating simply at the thought of my next meal.  And with that being said, its time for me to head out and discover a new place to eat. Bon appetite!  

      edit

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét